Mystic – The Old Mystic History Center will host a presentation on the Pequot War of 1637, a pivotal event in local and American history, at 6 p.m. Saturday at Old Mystic Methodist Church, 44 Main St., Old Mystic.
An academic, a historian and a playwright will participate in the event.
Kevin McBride, associate professor of anthropology at the University of Connecticut and former director of research at the Mashantucket Pequot Museum and Research Center, will lead the discussion. McBride, a recognized authority on the Pequot War, will provide details of the May 26, 1637 attack in which English forces burned a Pequot fort at Mystic, killing hundreds of men, women and children.
McBride will also talk about the withdrawal of English forces, a focus of his research over the past 15 years.
McBride last year provided input to a state commission examining whether a statue of Maj. John Mason, who led the attack, should be removed from outside the state Capitol.
Dale Plummer, Norwich city historian and descendant of Mason, will also speak on Saturday, while playwright Nick Checker will perform a short reading from a one-man adaptation of his Pequot War play, ‘Elegy for an Icon “, which was created years ago. at the Eugene O’Neill Theater Center.
The state Department of Economic and Community Development’s Bureau of the Arts recently awarded a grant for the adaptation project.
The Old Mystic History Center at 39 Main St., formerly known as the Indian & Colonial Research Center, changed its name in 2020 to reflect the growth of its archival collections, which include manuscripts, publications, photographs and physical objects related to the story. of the area.
Donations to the center will be welcome at Saturday’s event.