Players in the United States must be Verizon customers to participate.
In 2020, Pokemon Go hosted a series of “Weekend Special” events in conjunction with partners like Grubhub. Now, a new Special Weekend event will take place in May 2021 with three different partners around the world.
This event takes place in partnership with Verizon in the USA, 7-Eleven Mexico in Mexico, and Yoshinoya in Japan. To participate, players will need to purchase a special event ticket from one of these three partners, then enter the code on the ticket on Niantic Offer Exchange Website (Niantic is the developer of Pokemon go).
There are different ways to acquire these tickets (depending on the partner), and you can find out more on each company’s website. If you are in the United States, keep this in mind: you will need to be a Verizon customer to participate in this event.
The Weekend Special event will have two feature sets spread over two days in May: May 29 and May 30.
In one news article, Niantic, revealed everything from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time on May 29:
- “Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Eevee, Marill, Sableye, Stunky, Spritzee and Swirlix will be drawn to incense. If you’re lucky, you might find a shiny Eevee!
- Different Unowns will be attracted to Incense depending on the participating partner in your area. (Shiny Unown will not appear during the event.)
- Verizon: Unown V
- 7-Eleven Mexico: Unown S
- Yoshinoya: Unown Y “
Next, Niantic detailed all the features that will be available from May 29 at midnight local time to May 30 at 11:59 p.m. local time:
- “Timed research exclusive to the event will reward encounters with Eevee, Spritzee, Swirlix and Deino! =
- Event-exclusive Timed Research will be available that will reward XP, Stardust, Incense, Star Piece, Lucky Egg, Spritzee Candy, and Swirlix Candy.
- You will have an increased chance of receiving Lucky Pokémon when you trade with a friend.
- You will also have an increased chance of becoming lucky friends when you interact with a friend over the weekend.
- You will earn double the EXP for catching Pokémon.
- You will receive an exclusive medal when you redeem a ticket code on the offer redemption website. “
Finally, all players, even those without tickets to the event, will be able to access two in-game bonuses from May 28 at 10 a.m. PT to May 31 at 10 a.m. PT:
- Players will be able to open twice the normal number of gifts each day.
- Pokemon trade distance will be increased to 40 km.
What do you think of this special weekend event in Pokemon go? Let us know on Twitter at @superparenthq.